For Immediate Release
Nexus Dental Systems Launches National HBCU Sleep Apnea Initiative at Grambling State University
Grambling, LA., May 19, 2023 -Nexus Dental Systems has launched a national initiative to screen, test and treat Obstructive Sleep Apnea in the HBCU community. The program kicks off on May 22nd, 2023 with the Grambling State University Tigers football team, Coaching Staff and Administrators. Screening for the broader Grambling State University community begins in the fall of 2023.
This program consists of public screening events on HBCU campuses in partnership with local care providers. Nexus provides support through public outreach, onsite training for local volunteers and national insurance contracts. “This program is part of our core mission as a company; expanding access to care for Obstructive Sleep Apnea care through education, training, technology, medical billing and patient outreach,” says Brett Brocki, Founder and CEO of Nexus Dental Systems.
Grambling State University and Nexus have partnered with Dr. Tony Soileau, DDS, Dr. Matthew Abraham, MD, VirtuOx Sleep Testing, Somnomed North America (Oral Appliance Therapy), ICAN Apparel and a dedicated team of volunteers to bring a fully turn-key event for OSA screening, testing and treatment to the Grambling State University community.
The idea for this program came from G-Men Nation, Inc. who introduced Nexus to the Grambling State Team. Herman J. Arvie, Executive Director of G-Men Nation, Inc., himself a Grambling alumni and former NFL Offensive Lineman explains, “As someone who suffered with undiagnosed OSA for years – we need more early screening. Good sleep is critical to athletic performance, academic performance, mental focus, recovery and healing – it’s absolutely critical”.
“Grambling State is only the first stop on a national tour to bring needed care to an underserved community,” says Nexus Spokesperson and NFL Hall of Famer, Mel Blount, “As a historical fact, HBCUs are usually the last to receive attention from programs like this. We congratulate Grambling State University and Nexus Dental Systems working together to bring awareness to this important issue”.
ICAN Apparel founder Kelsey Battle adds, “Our mission is to empower athletes, and student athletes across the world to take control of their total health: physical, mental and social. This program is the first and only one like it, bringing healthcare directly to those most affected by this condition”.
Key OSA Facts:
- Many studies show that African Americans have increased risk for OSA
- A 2018 study found 24% of African American study participants had moderate to severe OSA, yet only 5% had been diagnosed1.
- A 20-year University of Buffalo study from 2022 found that more African American men die from OSA at a higher rate than any other group, and the rate has continued to grow despite downward trends in other populations 2
- Among adults, adherence to continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) is substantially lower in African Americans3
- African American men have more severe OSA when first diagnosed compared to other populations4
About Nexus Dental Systems: Nexus Dental Systems is the only company in the market with a true end-to-end solution. Our conglomerate has the B2B expertise that fulfills the needs of a dental practice to: Identify, Screen, Treat and Monitor Sleep Treatment Compliance for Oral Appliance Therapy. Our mission is to raise public awareness of sleep apnea, train dentists to implement dental sleep medicine, create sleep apnea programs for the industry, and connect patients with providers by creating sustainable and resilient systems for providers and the public. For More Information Visit: https://nexusdentalsystems.com
About G-Men Nation, Inc.: G-Men Nation, Inc. is an organization on a mission to support the successful growth and lively sustainment of the HBCU football program experience. To that end, the viable foci are to continue to maintain the elite status of being the premier intercollegiate organization in the nation, while providing the guidance and structure that permeate the G-Men band of brothers. As well, the awarding of academic and athletic scholarship will be offered to HBCU students who uphold the high standards of their university, and who devote time and effort to the uplifting of the football program.
About ICAN Clothing: Since 1999, ICAN defined its brand as a positive life which serves as the DNA for positive fashion wear. ICAN is designed to meet a universal thought and deliver universal messages with style. ICAN customers become the brand when they believe ICAN. https://icanclothes.com/
About Louisiana Sleep Solutions Louisiana Sleep Solutions is a Lafayette, LA-based dental practice dedicated to the treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Dr. Tony Soileau began his work in Dental Sleep Medicine after diagnosed with Mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea in 2008. He was prescribed a CPAP with lower pressure settings but was unable to tolerate treatment. He discovered Oral Appliance Therapy at a dental conference, shortly after he received his first appliance and was hooked. https://louisianasleepsolutions.com/
About Skylink Medical: Skylink Medical is a Lafayette, LA-based medical practice specializing in the treatment of Sleep Apnea. Dr. Matthew Abraham obtained his medical degree from Louisiana State University of Medicine in 1998. He is the sleep medicine director at a local hospital and operates a personalized telemedicine program for sleep medicine. Dr. Abraham is a sleep specialist practicing in sleep medicine for 20 years. https://skylinkmedical.com
About Somnomed, North America: Founded in 2004, SomnoMed® is an Australian Stock Exchange listed medical device company operating in 28 countries. With headquarters in Sydney, Australia and offices in Europe and the United States, SomnoMed® focuses on developing and manufacturing clinically proven medical devices for the treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA). Patients around the world with mild and moderate OSA have been successfully treated with our oral appliances.
About VirtuOx: VirtuOx is a healthcare information technology company that provides diagnostic tools and services that enable a variety of healthcare organizations and professionals to diagnose and treat diseases through vertically integrated platforms, products and services.
- Dayna A Johnson and others, Prevalence and correlates of obstructive sleep apnea among African Americans: the Jackson Heart Sleep Study, Sleep, Volume 41, Issue 10, October 2018, zsy154, https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/zsy154
- Yu-Che Lee, Ko-Yun Chang, M. Jeffery Mador, Racial disparity in sleep apnea-related mortality in the United States, Sleep Medicine,Volume 90, 2022,Pages 204-213,ISSN 1389-9457,https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleep.2021.11.014. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1389945722000363
- Dudley KA, Patel SR. Disparities and genetic risk factors in obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep Med. 2016 Feb;18:96-102. doi: 10.1016/j.sleep.2015.01.015. Epub 2015 Feb 27. PMID: 26428843; PMCID: PMC4602395.
- Thornton JD, Dudley KA, Saeed GJ, et al. Differences in symptoms and severity of obstructive sleep apnea between blacks and whites. Ann Am Thorac Soc. Published online July 9, 2021. doi:10.1513/AnnalsATS.202012-1483OC